Bread Machines and My Loaf Bread Recipes: Info and an Invitation

by Jeanne on February 24, 2013

I’m getting more and more questions about how to make my bread recipes in bread machines. This is a tricky subject because all bread machines are different and seem to have different settings.  I have the Breadman TR875 (which is no longer available) and I can give you info on how to use that machine, but I don’t have info for how to do my recipes in other machines.

Therefore, I have an idea: I would like to invite you to help me help the other folks on this blog who want to use different bread machines.  The idea is: you use my Soft Sandwich Bread and/or my Multigrain Bread recipe(s) in your bread machine and  then report back your successes to us in the comments to this post. I will then add that information onto the chart below. I will also add columns if needed (for example, if your machine offers the options of different temperatures, etc.).  Hopefully, this will turn into a document that is valuable for all of us. I will also give credit to folks who provide information.

How to comment:  Include the bread recipe you used, any changes you made, the bread machine you used, the settings that worked on that bread machine (see the chart below for info), and the total time it takes in the machine.  For the purposes of this post, it’s best for folks only comment with successes–it’s not that helpful to know about stuff that didn’t work for the purposes of this post. :)

Here goes!

Jeanne's Soft Sandwich Bread in Bread Machines
Brand Setting Color Loaf Weight Total Time
* Breadman TR875 Basic Medium 1.5lb 3hrs 13mins
* Breadman TR444 white regular 1.5 lb (thx to Brenda B)
* Cuisinart CBK100 white gluten-free ? (thx to Tamra)
* Cuisinart Convection Breadmaker white gluten-free ? (thx to Beth)
* Chefmate TR7000 Reg Crust level 1 ? (thx to Carolyn)

—————————————————————————————————————————–

Jeanne's Multigrain Bread in Bread Machines
Brand Setting Color Loaf Weight Total Time
* Breadman TR875 GF Medium 1.5lb 1hr 17mins

NOTE: gluten-free breads don’t usually need more than one rise, but in my machine, there is no way to get a longer rise without using a cycle that has several rises and punch-downs.  So, that’s why the Basic setting works well for the Soft Sandwich Bread.  The Multigrain does well on the Gluten-free setting because it seems to need less time to rise and bake.

Digiprove sealCopyright secured by Digiprove © 2013 Jeanne Sauvage

{ 49 comments… read them below or add one }

Robert March 12, 2014 at 10:50 pm

I have an older machine with no gluten-free setting. I took your advice somewhere that your mix can be simply substituted for flour. Oops, that really does not work in older machines. I’ve made many, many loaves with wheat flour, and I could see after 5 minutes that this was going to be a disaster. Gluten helps to create a kind of glue so that when the ingredients are mixed, a nice (?) ball is formed. Not so with the gluten mix: on gets a kind of sandy, cracked-open dry thing that does not get kneaded. I suppose I should have read all the posts above, but I assumed “my mix can be substituted for flour” applied to all methods of baking and stopped reading at that point. Maybe the warning about older bread machines could go higher up in your website? Perhaps right in the bread recipe?

Thanks for your work in testing many mixes to find the best one…but I will be baking my next loaf in the oven. The bread machine one will serve as a nice doorstop.

Jeanne March 14, 2014 at 10:22 am

Robert: So sorry about your experience. My mix can be substituted one for one for most recipes–except for yeasted recipes. Yeasted recipes need more tweaks. I don’t think I have said that my mix can be substituted for yeasted recipes (I try to make a point that yeasted recipes need more work than just flour substitution), but if there is a place where I do so–would you send me the link so I can adjust it? Thank you.

Therefore, your issues with the bread aren’t necessarily due to your machine. It’s due to the recipe. If you can, use my bread recipe (either the Soft Sandwich Bread or the Multigrain) and see how it goes.

Stephanie February 14, 2014 at 10:37 am

I tried this bread in my regular old bread machine yesterday. I followed the directions for the machine. The bread came out very nice. It didn’t rise in the middle and kind of looked like a brick but it was soft inside and tasted good.

Jeanne February 14, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Stephanie: I’m glad it worked out!

Kim January 22, 2014 at 11:00 am

Model B2500C Black n Decker.
I made a custom program.
I proofed the yeast first and then added it all in. Two five minute kneads and a 40 minute rise. It didn’t seem to rise too too much. I baked it at 355 for 45 minutes. I couldnt get it to go to 375 as the next one up was 400.
It came out with only a light golden colour on top. Its definitely the best one I have made yet. But it seems a little too moist.
I used the same ingredients as I did with your buns. With coconut flour instead of sweet rice.
I am going to try and tweak it. Bit until i can get it to rise a little more.

Jeanne January 23, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Kim: sounds good! Thank you for the info!

Linda Lowe January 21, 2014 at 2:12 pm

I used the Hamilton Beach HomeBaker™ Breadmaker as well. 2 lb. Loaf, Medium Crust Gluten free setting…at the beginning of the bake time (55 min) I quickly smoothed out the top. No mountainous terrain here.
Substitutions I made: coconut oil instead of the fat, water instead of milk. The only other thing I did was warm the eggs and the water.
Bread was great. I ate the crust right from the pan.
I love your flour mix and use it for everything. Turned my sister onto it and she made pies and sausage rolls for Christmas and was so pleased with the results. My daughter is also a believer.
We have your holiday book and are eagerly awaiting your new one especially for the english muffin recipe!
Thank you so much for sharing your talents.
Linda

Jeanne January 22, 2014 at 8:44 am

Linda: Thank you!

JO January 18, 2014 at 8:08 pm

I used the Hamilton Beach HomeBaker™ 2 Lb. Breadmaker (29881) 1.5 Loaf, Medium Crust. I used your ingredient list and HB machine directions (liquid/dry/yeast) on the Gluten Free setting. Set it and forget it :) I think it took over 2 hours. I was doing other cooking and wasn’t attending to the time.

It worked. Yummy.

Jeanne January 20, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Jo: Yay! Thank you!

Thiah January 15, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Hi Jeanne, and I thank you so very much for your taking the time to work on these recipes and site AND answer all of our questions. I have been making regular wheat bread and white rolls for years and am trying your gluten free sandwich bread recipe for the first time. I used to use a machine, but when it died (undoubtedly from exhaustion) I just began kneading bread by hand. I tried just mixing this dough with a spoon and my biceps, and I would describe its appearance to be like cookie dough. Is this okay? I’m waiting on it to rise now. Any tips on this would be so appreciated. Again, I thank you.

Jeanne January 16, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Thiah: Yes, this dough looks more like a cake batter than like a bread dough. It will be much more wet and sticky and regular bread dough. Happy baking!

Lee-Ann January 4, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Hi Jeanne:

I came across your blog this evening and thought that perhaps you or one of your readers could help. I just got a bread machine for Christmas (Black & Decker), but I need some advice as I`m `new`to gluten-free, dairy-free baking (due to an intolerance).

Which gluten-free flour do you find works best in a bread machine… and how do you substitute for dairy in your recipes (in general) without affecting the outcome of the loaf…

Hopefully, you can shed some light on this for a newcomer. :)

Betsy December 13, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Jeanne
I’m using a bread machine West Bend to be exact. It’s older and does not have a gluten free setting. I read every post you have displayed on this with the soft sandwich bread recipe. I use this machine all the time. I add the ingredients liquid first, then dry, then yeast on top. The only issue imam finding as I’m watching it is the top is very rough looking.
I followed the ingredients you vcalled for to a tee. Metal pan eggs room temperature, I even bought the same brand of flours. It’s not a big deal just a question. I think reading all the post has made me apprehensive. I really have been satisfied with most breads except like you I want sandwich bread, no aftertaste.

Jeanne December 17, 2013 at 9:52 am

Betsy: I’m so glad it worked for you and you like it!

Katie March 20, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Hello Betsy, I also have a West Bend, and was wondering what setting you use – Basic, 1.5 lb loaf, medium crust? Thanks :)

Lara December 11, 2013 at 9:49 am

I have an oster model CKSTBR9050 it has a gluten free setting! I’ve made it with proofing the yeast and starting it, and I’ve also just followed the directions of adding liquid first, then dry, then the yeast….I’ve found that we enjoy the proofed yeast better…we also prefer our yummy whole raw milk vs water or almond! The gluten free setting is pre-set meaning I can’t select a loaf size or color. The time is 2:10 and it only has one rise! I’m not sure if they still make this model as I found it at Tuesday morning but I hope this helps someone! Enjoy! Ps we LOVE this bread and EVERYTHING else I’ve ever made!

Jeanne December 11, 2013 at 10:43 am

Lara: Thank you for the information! Also, I’m so glad you like the recipes!!

Annie December 4, 2013 at 1:26 pm

I made the soft sandwich bread recipe in my Zojirushi BB-PAC20 bread maker and it turned out fantastic!

Jeanne December 4, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Annie: Thanks for letting me know!

Barry Friedman December 31, 2013 at 7:50 am

What setting did you use, Annie? I have that machine as well. Thanks.

Annie January 1, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Barry, I used the Gluten Free setting. It was, literally, the first loaf of gluten free bread I’ve ever made but it turned out way better than any I’ve ever bought.

Laura October 10, 2013 at 8:59 am

I’m new to bread making in general and have only used one bread recipe in my machine. I literally just add all the ingredients (in a certain order/arrangement) and the machine does the rest. I know you don’t know how to tell everyone how to adjust their recipes per each different bread machine, but when using a bread machine, in what part of the soft gluten-free sandwich bread recipe do I add the dough to the bread machine?

Jeanne October 10, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Laura: Hm, I’m not quite sure what your question is. I would add all of the ingredients to the machine, with the wet ingredients first. Then use the gluten-free setting, if there is one and see how it goes. You may need to experiment with the settings to get it right. :)

kim July 23, 2013 at 10:02 pm

I have the west bend automatic bread and dough maker thats 15 years old. I made one loaf of bread by a different recipe that used bobs red mill all purpose gluten free flour. That loaf rose and baked all the way through. It was very crumbly and bad a BAD taste to it. My sons dietitian recommended ur site when I told her I had no idea what I was doing and desperately needed guidance. I just made ur soft bread recipe. My health food store had sweet brown rice flour so thats what I used for the sweet rice flour. I used the sane brand yeast u do except it was instant. My bread didn’t rise and wasn’t cooked all the way through. Now here it is almost 1 in the morning and my 4 year old is gonna be expecting to be abject to have bread for breakfast and I dint have any good enough to give him. I mixed all the dry ingredients and mixed all the liquid ingredients putting the liquid on bottom dry on top and the yeast on top of that. It seemed like my machine wasn’t getting the ingredients mixed so I took a spatula and helped it along, then the dough didn’t look right so I added a TBS of lactose free milk witch us what we use and that made it worse so I added a TBS of the flour mixture but the machine didn’t get it mixed up either so u had to help it again. The only difference between how I loaded this recipe verses the first was that there didn’t seem yo be as much dry ingredients and the first recipe called for butter witch I put in according to the manual fir my machine. The yeast is good I checked the expiration date. I used the basic setting on the machine same as before. Same crust setting too. Can someone plz plz plz help me!!

Jeanne July 26, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Kim: I’m sorry you are experiencing so much trouble with your machine. Please be aware that most older bread machines aren’t designed to accommodate gluten-free breads and they don’t work well. I have no idea how to help you with your particular machine. I would recommend that you forget about using the bread machine and use my recipes using the oven. That way you will have control over what happens.

Joy August 22, 2013 at 7:54 am

Kim,
I have an older Westbend machine, too…. it’s the one that makes loaves shaped like normal bread. I haven’t tried the recipe – I was here looking to see if I could use my bread maker for GF breads.
Your post is VERY helpful. Thank you for taking the time to post!

Christie January 12, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Hi, I just baked this recipe in my older Westbend today. While by appearance and texture it was perfect, it was a bit yeasty for our taste. We awe new to GF and will do some research to modify a bit for a more palatable bread. Thank you so much for the recipes ans comments. They truly are helpful!

Jeanne January 18, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Christie: Sounds good! I’m so glad to be of help!

Tamra May 16, 2013 at 10:09 am

The white sandwich bread turned out perfect! I use the Cuisinart CBK100, and substituted Arrowroot for the Sweet Rice Flour (because I couldn’t find Sweet Rice). Other than that I followed all of the instructions, with liquids on the bottom, and used the Gluten Free setting. So easy!

Jeanne May 16, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Tamra: Oo, thank you so much for the info! And I’m so glad you liked it!

Beth April 16, 2013 at 9:49 am

I used the Cuisinart Convection Breadmaker for the soft white bread recipe. Turned out great with the gluten free setting. (Though, I haven’t made your loaf pan recipe to compare it to.) Generally speaking, most gluten free breads I’ve made are not squishy enough for a sandwich. This, I believe, will work! I’ve made other good breads, but they all end up being a little crumbly for a sandwich (i.e. better as thick slices).

*Cuisinart Convection Breadmaker recommends liquids at the bottom, dry ingredients on top and yeast last.*

Jeanne April 20, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Beth: Yay! I’m so glad. And thank you so much for the bread machine info. Also, yes–the liquids at the bottom is a terrific tip! That’s what I do, too.

Carolyn April 15, 2013 at 8:29 am

I made the soft white bread and I used a Chefmate TR7000. I warmed my milk and added a Tablespoon of sugar along with the yeast and let is sit for a few minutes before adding the rest of the liquid ingredients. Then I placed all of my dry ingredients on top of that and started my machine at level 1 which is he basic Reg. Crust 1 to 1-1/2 lb loaf setting.
This is the cycle:
knead 1-3 minutes
knead 2-30 minutes
first rise 23 minutes
shape 20 seconds
second rise 60 minutes
bake 43 minutes
auto cool down 60 minutes
I still prefer the method of baking in the oven but it did turn out fine.

Jeanne April 15, 2013 at 10:50 am

Caroline: Wow! Thank you so much!!

Arlene Adkins March 26, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Can anyone tell me where I can find the flours needed for these recipes? I was recently diagnosised with Celiac Disease and so was my toddler. I have a bread machine I will be using but I cannot seem to find gluten free flours. Are there any that are really affordable on a tight budget? Thanks so much in advanced.

Jeanne March 27, 2013 at 10:38 am

Arlene: Check out my post answering questions about my flour mix, which includes info about where to get the flours and how much the flours cost.

maggie April 15, 2013 at 3:20 pm

I’m not sure where you live put here in Oregon, Winco is the cheapest place to buy most (not all) ingredients. only 92cents a pound! (in the bulk section)

Jeanne April 20, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Maggie: Thank you for the info!

Brenda Jennings March 14, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Hi Jeanne,
I have been looking for such a resource unsuccessfully for quite some time. I am retired and love baking, and have a couple of small blogs on cooking … and just found out two years ago during a routine visit to my allergist about gluten issues. As a retired nurse, I should have considered this myself, but well, as they say… those in health care don’t often take very good care of themselves.
Thanks again for these recipes, Jeanne. I will try them out tomorrow!

Jeanne March 14, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Brenda: Welcome! Happy baking!

ANn March 10, 2013 at 3:42 pm

I use an old Welbilt bread machine, and a friend gave me some good advice. In the manual it says how long the machine runs through initial rise, so I set the timer, turn of the machine after that time, let it rise another 15-20 minutes, then set the machine to bake. It means I have to be around to manually change the settings, but the bread turns out MUCH better. Now I just need to try your recipes! And if you want a machine that does this automatically, I hear the Zojirushi is good (but expensive)

Richie March 10, 2013 at 3:54 am

I really enjoy your blog;thanks for the wonderful information

Jeanne March 10, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Richie: You’re welcome!

EW Barwick March 4, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I don’t have a GF setting on my machine. Any ideas on what to try for the Multigrain Bread. I have a Williams Sonoma WS0598.

Jeanne March 7, 2013 at 7:05 pm

EW: I’m not sure. Is there a setting that includes one rise? That setting would probably be good. Or, you can just try the regular setting and see how it goes.

Tracy March 1, 2013 at 10:46 am

I realize you asked about bread machines, but just wanted to let everyone know your bread recipes turn out perfect in stoneware pans. That’s all I’ve got for loaf pans and the bread turns out perfect every time! I should know, I’ve been making it every week. I’m becoming a bit of a stalker;)

Jeanne March 3, 2013 at 10:34 am

Tracy: Thanks for the tip! Stoneware is an excellent baking material–it retains heat quite well.

Jeanne Sauvage (@fourchickens) February 25, 2013 at 8:36 am

{New Post} Bread Machines and My Bread Recipes: An Invitation to help me help you http://t.co/bYwu1u0GpM